New gear, a new running experience

I'm the kind of runner who as soon as my feet don't quite right, I buy new shoes. I feel the same way about shoes that I do tires on a car -- if they're starting to wear down, you probably shouldn't put too many more miles on them. Yesterday, I bought a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7s. This is a pretty drastic change for me because since June 2006, my running shoes have been Asics. I've gone through a pair of 1120s, two 2110s and most recently a pair of 2120s - my most favorite to date. But after trying on the Brooks and the Asics 2120s at the same time, there was something about the Brooks shoe I really liked. They got a good test run today on my 10-mile run - everything felt great.

I also bought a fuel belt yesterday - the 2007 Helium Fuel Belt. I used it on my long run today and it worked great. It has two 8-ounce bottles and a little zipper pack for a small snack, keys or, like today, my Ipod shuffle. It fit nice and snug and it didn't shift around at all. It's the first time in a couple of years I've taken fluids with me and it was a world of difference from the cheap stuff I have used before. I really didn't want a belt with four bottles - that just seemed like too much to carry around - and this one was perfect when I saw it. It will definitely make my long runs more pleasant having fluid with me instead of trying to run somewhere that has water fountains along the way.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I love my Fuel Belt. It works wonderfully. I only wish the bottles were a little bigger. I got the four bottle one as I didn't think two bottles would be enough for me.

Anonymous said...

I am still a stasher - leaving bottles along the route. So it didn't jiggle with the water in the belt? I may have to break down and try one.

I will say a prayer to the running shoe gods - although they didn't listen to me last time.

David H. said...

To Amy: The way the bottles are positioned near the back, I didn't notice them jiggling around at all. This belt fit nice and tight and has a Velcro adjustment - not one that clicks. Just like everything else to do with running, it'll work differently for different people, but I really liked it.