Week 2, with a double-digit long run

I had an odd week professionally that made keeping to my running schedule a bit harder. On Tuesday I spent a lot of time in the car going back and forth to a seminar at Virginia Tech. The next day was my voyage to and from Richmond. I realized that having a good workout in the morning, then sitting in a car for two hours isn't good. Despite the many travels and the all-of-a-sudden sprint to get my house ready to sell, I had a successful running week. Unlike last summer, I have no knee problems after upping my mileage. I also have quickly realized how much house work is equivalent to a good crossing training day, or a good addition to running.

Here's how Week 2 went of training for the Richmond Marathon:
Monday, 7/23: 1.1, weights
Tuesday: 4
Wednesday: 6.2 overall (3.2 tempo run at just under 8 minute mile pace)
Thursday: Dubbed a rest day for running, but ... 1.3 mi. walk, weights, mowed yard
Friday: 4.4
Saturday: Rest day, but housework was involved
Sunday: 10. This was my first double-digit run since my half marathon in March. Overall it went well, and I could really feel the difference in jumping from 7.3 miles last week. Plus I stuck to some major hills including Thomas Road. It was ambitious to go 10 miles, but in the end everything felt great. I kept a nice, controlled slow pace. I had enough left in me today to clean up some more and some minor painting. I'm headed off soon to reward myself with a Japanese meal.

Total running miles for the week: 25.7. My goal was 25 to 28, so I'm very pleased to fall within my goal range. My group run Wednesday was a tempo run in the rain, and I really enjoyed it.

This week, my group run has been moved a day and I won't be able to go, but my goal is to do some sort of track workout or tempo run mid-week on my own. My long run goal is 11 miles; overall mileage goal for the week is 27 to 30. The following week is a recovery week in which I'll cut my miles down in the low 20s, but maintain 11 or so miles for my long run. That week will be a bit odd as I head on a mini "vacation" to Ohio once again, but it's perfect time as I plan to cut back a bit. I'll be looking forward a very flat long run.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Congrats on the 10 miles!!! Glad to see that you're succeeding in keeping to your plan. I imagine the move and stuff have been playing havoc with your running. So, good job in keeping it up during the other stuff.

Anonymous said...

Meet Lynchburg Virginia supports your blog Hello, I am new to this blogging stuff. I ran across your blog and just wanted to say hello.

As I find more and more post, I will try to comment on yours when I see them.

Be Positive,
Jamie