Hitting that restart button

Since mid-March, I've been keeping in my head that July 1 is THE day to put all my focus on November's Richmond Marathon. Well, that day is here and now it's time to get serious. This weekend didn't quite go as planned, as I had hoped to run 6-7 miles on Saturday. I changed up my routine and did that today, which is a good start to this second half of the year. I had a very comfortable 6.5 miles today on the Blackwater Creek Trails. It had been a while since I went there, but it was a refreshing change to my usual neighborhood.

So, what now? The first quarter of the year was about my half marathon; the second quarter was about recovery and maintaining decent mileage. Now, the challenge begins. It's time for my long runs to get longer; my tempo runs (which will be my group runs through September) will get more intense; and the easy days will probably remain about the same. In the coming weeks, after a vacation this weekend, I plan to write about my workouts in a little more detail, with putting some goals down and then writing about what actually happened.

Part of the July 1 changes include absolutely no french fries, no soft drinks and yes, no ice cream. More on all that later.

This week I have a group run on Tuesday and a mile race on Wednesday (I'm shooting for less than 7 minutes) that will be the biggest things. I'll be in Ohio for a nice flat run this weekend.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Sounds like things are going well...I'll be interested to hear if you plan on doing some interval training and any details if you do. I picked up an ipod Nano this week and they have these podcasts you can download that are basically training sessions with music and a coach...they are really cool.

In terms of ice cream, my wife battle with that same addiction :) She solves it by eating these Weight Watcher ice cream pops that have Oreo cookie crumbs on them. I think they are 140 calories a pop. They are really tasty and don't hurt too much :)

Jason The Running Man said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Sounds like we followed a similar path this year. I finished my half at the end of April. I look forward to following your progress and hey maybe we can catch up on Nov. 10th!:)

Jason The Running Man said...

Oh yeah...ice cream should be a health food!:) Major weakness for me but so far so good!