A post setting up other posts

I often get asked how training is going for the Richmond Marathon. Well, honestly, ever since I signed up for it in March, I don't feel like I've done much for it. Basically, I've maintained decent mileage for a couple of months (16-22 miles a week) and just waited until this month to get here to really focus on it. My long runs will steadily increase between now and November, but I think I'll be comfortable upping my mileage until I get to a distance I've never done. Last year when I trained for the 10 miler, each long run always felt good mentally because, simply, I had never gone that far before. At the same time they were a bit uncomfortable physically because I had never logged that distance before. My longest runs since I started running again have been my half marathons. Including warming up for those events, I've never gone more than 14 miles in a day. When I hit that distance sometime in August, I know that mentally it'll be great. Physically? We'll see ...

I'd like to take a chance to layout some things I'd like to write about (it's sort of like what happens at work -- having a meeting to discuss other meetings). Next week will mark 16 weeks to the marathon. I plan to write about long runs specifically. My goal is to write about how I felt on the long runs and provide a link on mapmyrun.com or using google maps to show where I went. I believe that the key thing with the marathon training will be the long runs. Through September, I'll be in the speed and endurance training group. I plan to write about each of those workouts. Lastly, I plan to write about weight and nutrition. I've written about the journey from 220 pounds ago (click here for that post), but I'd like to detail a little more about my goals and look back in a little more detail of where I've been since the initial weight loss. If I somehow don't touch on these subjects in the next couple of minds, please kindly remind me to.

To end us this no-point post, I'd like to thank those who have become regular readers. I've enjoyed reading other blogs and I look forward to reading more - I hope that this blog has become somewhat helpful and/or entertaining. For those running the Richmond Marathon or the 8K that same day, maybe we can actually meet the night before or the day of the race.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck David I know you will do well

Cousin Matt

Anonymous said...

David, I've been enjoying reading your blog. I admire your weight loss and improved race performances. I'll be following your progress getting ready for Richmond. Keep up the good posting and running!

http://blog.runnerslounge.com

Danny said...

looking forward to following along...

Runtime said...

Go David! November will be here before you know it. If you can hang tough mentally on the long runs... you are half way there. For me... I started to get challenged mentally around 18 miles. Now I have to start preparing the day before to get my mind ready for a 3 hour run. Anyway... where the mind goes the body will follow... stay in that grove and ride it to the finish line. Best to you and yours.