On the road again

A vacation from work can't come soon enough, but a vacation right as I am feeling great about where my training is isn't quite ideal. I've gotten in my head that 16 weeks of training for the Richmond Marathon is what I want to do, and that doesn't actually come until the week of July 16. Right now is all about mentally preparing while creeping my mileage up. These past two weeks have been a great bonus to unofficially begin the training. I want to feel like "officially" training for the marathon is nothing but a smooth transition from what I'm already doing.

People often think that when they're on vacation, they can't exercise at all. But I'm already trying to figure out when I'll get some good runs in, while still relaxing. Saturday and Sunday mornings will be the best, since I'll simply be visiting in-laws and my wife is off doing things women do when they're in weddings. And I'll be in Ohio where it's a bit cooler and considerably flatter. So I figure that Saturday would be a great day to run an easy 7 miles. It's been a while since I've hit that distance and it would be a great way to end a week that's been full of speed workouts. And I don't get a chance to have a run without any hills because quite simply, I hate the track when I'm by myself. Today I let my body rest after that speed workout Tuesday and yesterday's mile race. Tomorrow I might go for a jog before I hit the road, but I'll really wait and figure that out in the morning. I'll be venturing back to Virginia on Wednesday after a couple of days in the Poconos in Pennsylvania, where I hope to get a few miles in.

The hardest part about vacation is nutrition. In the past two weeks, I've gotten a lot better with eating the right things and voiding certain foods/drinks altogether. I think this mini-transition period will help tremendously when it's all-you-can-eat dessert night. When I return from my trip, I will be keeping tabs on my weight and letting you in on my goals. I've been through the story of losing weight, but it's time to hold me accountable again to get to where I want to be by the time the marathon rolls around.

0 comments: