Looking ahead to "normal"

I didn't hit my 5 miles today, but I did hit my original goal from a couple of days ago -- to hit double digits for the week. All told I ran 11.6 miles this week and walked 14.7. I'm actually surprised I ran as much as I did, but all those little runs quickly added up. This morning was crazy hot, I was tired and I think my injury has created a chain reaction of making other things hurt. I had a lot of cramping going on and my legs just didn't seem to want to move today. Tomorrow I will not attempt any running at all. I think I need a running break after doing some sort of running every day this week. I'll resume weight lifting tomorrow - something I haven't done in quite a while. I'll be using my free weights since it will likely hurt to use my home gym.

This week I will attempt to pick up where I left off with running, meaning that my long run goal is 8 miles and my weekly total goal is the low 20s. If I can pull off 5 consistent weeks of increasing my long runs and my overall mileage a little bit each week, I'll be in a good spot come race week with an opportunity to rest up that week. I'll try to squeeze in a 5k along the way as a tune up since I missed my race this weekend.

If I can't get back to normal this week, I'll have to make the decision on whether or not to pursue the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon. I know people who are running it who have slower goal times, so I can always hang back, and I could always use it as a long run while I focus on something else in September, but I doubt I'd do that. Since it's Labor Day weekend, it's a lot of money to stay at Virginia Beach for three nights. Also coming into to play is my job situation. I would hate to not run because of that, but it's impossible to make the trip if something doesn't happen soon.

I may be coming across as being negative, but I'm actually feeling good about things this week. I think a non-running day is going to help my pain, and I'm confident about things turning around job-wise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think the leg cramping is from dehydration or lack of potassium? Take it easy and rsee how you feel. Good luck with the job.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are doing a good job of listening to what your body is saying. That is not always easy to do.
Good luck with the job.
Mom