The footprint of a future runner

Unless you've caught a couple of my wife's comments, or unless you know me personally, I've been keeping a secret from you -- my wife and I are expecting our first child in November. Pictured above is one of his feet during the ultrasound the other day -- yes, I said HIS. While this week has been full of gloom in my training and the past few months have been full of nothing but things going wrong in the job department, knowing that we are having a baby toward the end of this year has kept me going.

This week we found out that we're having a boy -- the full name is TBD. For the past few months both sides of our families have done the usual wishing that we were having a boy or a girl, while my wife and I have stayed silent in hopes that the baby is healthy. So far, things are looking good. And yes, we definitely know it's a boy based on the money shot we saw the other day. I thought since this is a running blog it was only appropriate to post the foot shot. (Click here to check out my wife's blog on the experience.)

Injury update
Well, I decided to pull out of the 5-mile race this weekend. While things continue to slowly improve every day, the thought of a 2-hour car ride tomorrow evening didn't "sit" well with me. Every day my ability to sit at the computer is getting better and today I found it much easier to get comfortable on my couch -- enough so to get two 30-minute naps in. I did sleep better last night and I finally feel rested up after a few rough nights.

My plan is to take it easy again tomorrow and then become a weekend warrior to get some miles in. If I can get at least 10 miles for the week in -- so far I've logged a little more than 3 -- I feel like next week I can pick up where I left off. Instead of any kind of taper, I would just be heading into race week at a peak. If I still can't run like I want to this weekend, I may have to chose something else.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and your wife!! What an exciting time. Your lives are forever going to be changed, but for the better. Even when my daughter has annoyed me to no end or has thrown the biggest 2 year old fit, I still put her to bed and think how wonderful she is and how lucky I am to have her.

Rest up and take care of your injury. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

What a great shot. I have seen the others but still can't respond. Hope things improve this weekend.
Mom

Danny said...

are those asics on him??? :-)

hey, congratulations!! that's awesome!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Fantastic news. It will totally change your life!

Jason said...

Woohoo!!! Congrats!

They're Saucony's by the way :)

Runtime said...

Congrats! We just had our first baby girl recently... and what a joy!!!