The big fall: One day later

If you've ever been in a car wreck, you probably know what it's like to have a "delayed" injury. When the wreck first happens, you're OK, but by the end of the night your neck probably hurts. Then the next day isn't quite as bad and then by the third or fourth day it's gone.

Well, after yesterday's fall I experienced a delay injury later in the day -- my left shoulder. Apparently on my quick way to my derriere, my left arm tried to catch me. I have a couple of bruises near my wrist and my shoulder feels like somebody gave me a good punch.

Now on to my aching ass. When I woke up this morning, it felt a lot better, so I thought I'd give it a try to run. I went out walking with my dog and after a half mile I tried to run. Was that a ghost stabbing me with a knife in my lower back? No, it was just my sore coccyx. So I immediately stopped and just walked a couple of miles.

So about 36 hours after my wreck with my stairs, I have a pain in my butt and an odd sensation in my shoulder. I'll remain on a day-to-day status for a little while, but I can honestly say that I'm much better than last night. However, if tomorrow was race day, I'd be sitting on the bench. With a bum bum and a whacked out shoulder, I think tomorrow is still going to be a day of walking. At least I can walk without any problems.

The timing of this is awful in some ways -- it's pretty much right in the middle of my training schedule. The thing that sucks is that I can't do any cross training. I'm sure that bike riding will be out for at least two weeks and now that my shoulder is bothering me, lifting weights and doing the plank is out for at least a couple of days. However, with seven weeks to go to the race, I'm trying to look at this as a "recovery" week in my training, although the sudden stoppage isn't what I was looking to do.

I hope the end result is just a few missed runs -- if I'm lucky it might just be one day missed. I hate missing this week's long run, but it'll just have to be. One missed long run isn't going to break the bank. Tomorrow is a normal off day from running anyway and generally Tuesday has been an "easy" day. My plan for the next couple of days is to add walking miles, with an attempt to run each day to see how it feels.

1 Comentário:

Pokey said...

OUCH!!!!! Hope everything feels better SOON!!!!