May: Twice as nice as April

In this final week of non-training, I laid off running a bit to give my feet some extra rest before I began official training on June 1 for the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach. It gave me a chance these past couple of days to get a little more comfortable on the bike to know I can easily do 4-6 miles starting off on my cross-training days. It's better than being completely unfamiliar with how my body will do on a bike.

To sum up May, I'll admit that I'm a bit disappointed that my mileage totals aren't higher, but I knew coming into this month that I'd have to take things slow. I knew this was a transition month -- it was about building some kind of base without injuring myself. So, the goal of being injury-free was easily accomplished. When adding up my miles, I ran 40.8 miles and biked 21.6 -- both more than twice my mileage in injury-plagued April. I also got in at least 20.9 miles of walking. I also lifted weights six days out of the month -- less than what I wanted, but I'm noticing improvements each time I lift. The month was also interrupted by being out of town for five days, so all in all I'd have to say I'm pleased with how the month played out.

For the year, my running total is 250.4 miles; I've walked at least 107.5 miles; and I've logged 45.1 miles in biking. Everything would be much higher if not for my injuries.

Looking ahead to June, my plan for my first week of training is to get in about 15 miles, one day of biking and one day of weight lifting. The second week is going to be a challenge since I am traveling to the Outer Banks for a friend's wedding. It'll be nice to get away and run along the beach, but it kind of throws a kink into early training plans. Running-wise for the month, I'd like to hit 60-65 miles. I'd like to get in about 25 biking miles as well. I don't want too big of an increase so I don't burn out too quickly. I have to remember this is just a half marathon and not a full marathon that I'm getting ready for. I want to increase my long runs slowly and hit double digits again by the end of July.

I know that the half is still a little ways off, but my early goals are to set a PR for that distance. I'll be turning 30 in a few weeks, so it would be a great way to start off a new decade. There are some other races this summer that I'll be doing that'll hopefully get me ready for the half. Like I have discussed before, it would be great to set PRs in a 5k and 10k, but right now I'm focused on staying healthy and building my mileage up.

0 comments: