Wear yellow, make a difference

It's the biggest decision after signing up for a big race. Every runner thinks long and hard about it. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to run the big race the first time ... so we ask ourselves, what will we wear?!?!?

For my first ever race, I wore a cotton yellow shirt. I bought nothing new. For the Virginia Ten Miler, I wore all black. Not sure why ... it just make me feel faster. Again, it was nothing new or special for the race. For the Shamrock Half in March I did what was appropriate - I wore green. But it wasn't all green since it was cold - my long-sleeve shirt was green and white, and I wore green shorts. For that race, I did shop around to find something green to wear. For the marathon, I wanted to buy something new as well, but what? Most of my running gear has come the cheaper route through Target, but no offense to Target, that store lacks cool racing gear except if you want to dress in one solid color. The store does have more options than it used to, but it's nothing that stands out enough for my first-ever marathon.

Then the other day, I got an email from Dick's Sporting Goods about the new Livestrong gear. "Wear what Lance wore in the New York City Marathon" is the hook, but to me, that's not really the hook. It's not an association to Lance Armstrong that I want to have -- haven't you heard the latest in his personal life? -- it's helping cancer research. Giving some sort of money to cancer research should be the hook, so why not wear yellow?

So I went out and bought the expensive yellow shirt -- I could have bought three new shirts at Target for that price, but for the Richmond Marathon I wanted to do something different. What little bit of money goes to fighting cancer is different enough for me. And wearing the yellow Livestrong shirt helps spread that word a very little bit. (Actually, I preferred the black shirt, but Dick's didn't have matching yellow shorts for the men.) Since the forecast for the start of the race is the low 30s right now , I'll probably start the race with a thin black shirt underneath. Black shorts will accompany the yellow shirt. The shirt is so new, I couldn't find the exact image online, so the one to the right isn't the exact shirt, but it's close.

So, if you're out there still thinking about what to wear for the Richmond Marathon, don't be afraid to wear yellow. If you're watching the race from the streets and don't know how to show your support, think a little about wearing yellow. Together we can all make a difference.

5 comments:

Danny said...

it's getting close when you're thinking about what to wear!

Run strong!

(No mention of luck here...)

Rae! said...

Awesome!!!! have a great run.I am rae I saw you from reading danny,and london jogger.
I just did my first 13k at Disney!! Have a good run !!!!!

Runtime said...

The first race I ran was a Livestrong Challenge 10K =) This year they dropped the 10K and only had a 5K though. =( It is good you are getting all the nitty gritty details taken care of... do all that so race day is smooooth sailing.

Topher said...

Found your blog through Non-runner Nancy's. Congratulations on your marathon finish. My wife thinks I'm either nuts or a girl because my biggest worry the days leading up to a race is "wardrobe." Guess you have to be a runner to get it.

Anyway, congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Haha! Richmond was my first marathon, too, and I wore the racing jersey my training team provided for me. I was proud to wear it, but didn't realize until after the race that it didn't quite fit me. I'm a small (i.e. short) person, and I look like I'm pregnant in all the pictures because it pillowed out around my midsection! Oh well. :) I'll obsess about my appearance next time...because there WILL be a next time!