Pre-race Paranoia

For the first time since one of my first races, I am experiencing being paranoid. If I've had a slight pain anywhere, I get worried. Then it'll go away. I woke up earlier than usual this morning thinking about race day. While I'm sure I'll have no problem waking up on time, there's part of me that thinks I'll somehow sleep in too long. My usual race week diet -- heavy on the fiber the first couple of days -- has me thinking I have stomach issues, when I know I don't. I've gotten ready for a big race before, just not a marathon.

Anyway, a quick check on the weather. The forecast for Saturday has gotten colder every day this week, which is fine with me. Lows are forecast in the mid-30s and highs now in the low to mid-50s. Accuweather has a forecast high of 53 Saturday. Weather.com says 56. No matter what you look at, it'll be nice and cool -- perfect for running.

3 comments:

Ed H. said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets pre-race jitters. I've been like that ever since I did miss the start of a race. I had the time wrong (8:30 instead of nine... a big deal in a 5K.) That just goes to show you that distance running is 80-90% mental. The body quickly gets used to the abuse, but our minds constantly work against us.

Jason said...

Man I am very glad the weather is going to be cool. I can't wait!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your race! I love your energy you have going into this. The best part was seeing a counter going already for your next race.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!