The wind carried me past 20

For yet another week, I was able to increase my mileage with hitting 20.4 this week. I had planned to do 7 today, but it's so windy that I had to cut it to 6.1. It seemed no matter which way I ran I was somehow running into the wind. With 20-30 mph winds, I feel like I put in more than I did.

Like I said before, I think I'm setting myself up to peak at the right time for the Shamrock Half Marathon. Five weeks is a good amount of time to continue to slowly build my mileage. Last year at this time, my weekly mileage was slightly higher than where I am now, but I never really increased it too much last year. This year I'm planning to hit double digits for a long run beforehand -- last year my longest run was only 8 miles. It's tough training in the winter for a big race, but I like the challenge battling Virginia's up and down weather.

Speaking of the race, if you're participating in it, make sure to get a hotel room. I spent an hour yesterday finding a place. And if you want to run it, the half marathon is sold out. I believe there's still room in the marathon.

This weekend was the virtual "9 on the 9th" race -- I definitely hit the requirements (doing 9 total near the 9th), but it'll take me a while to figure out how to write a race report. Or maybe my race report is 3 miles on Friday, 4.1 on Saturday and 1.9 on Sunday ... or 4.1 on Saturday and 4.9 on Sunday. At least this month, I was able to do it. I can't say the same for the 8 on the 8th in December.

1 Comentário:

AndyTheRunner said...

Looks like you are on the right track.
Your quest last year has inspired me
I have decided to be diligent and keep track all year to see if I can hit 1000 miles this year.
I hope we both make it

keep it up

andy