Things just keep getting better

In the past few weeks I've had a lot happen to put my mind at ease when it comes to running -- a good race, a good mile time by myself, hitting double digits, etc. But I can't just be content with what I've done. Running is a never-ending process, and don't ask me why it's taken me five years to really realize that.

Today was one of those days that I could have easily turned my alarm clock off and slept until noon. But I got up on the first alarm and didn't sleep an extra 9 minutes like I usually do. I got up ... and went running. As usual, I didn't have much of a plan, but I knew I wanted to do some sort of speed work. So after a little more than a mile, I did some intervals -- two quarter miles and two half miles, with a quarter mile break in between everything. My first quarter mile was 2:06, and it felt like I was dragging through mud. The second quarter mile was 1:57. Better, but I wasn't fully satisfied. I still felt tired, but no worn out. It was just an odd feeling really. The first half mile went better with a time of 3:46; my last half mile was a bit slower at 3:55.

When I ran about a mile to cool down, I was thinking about what I just did. A year ago I didn't have enough confidence to attempt speed work by myself. It had to be with a group. And a year ago I would've never attempted this in a neighborhood -- I would've wanted complete flatness on a track. I was also very happy at keeping my pace under 8-minute miles while feeling like I could run even harder.

I keep getting mad at myself for a few pounds I can't seem to lose, but I am feeling great heading into the last two weeks of getting ready for the Shamrock Half Marathon. I have to keep reminding myself, too, that it's still February and most people are still in "off season" not thinking about running hard. And I'm doing much of this own my own. Yes, I'm running with a group on Saturdays, but it doesn't focus on speed or longer distances that I'm at now. I've been lacking some confidence for a while, and it's nice to be back.

0 comments: