Injuries

In 8 months of blogging, I've been fortunate to not have any injuries. Since fall 2006, I've basically stayed injury free. I had some nagging heel pain back in March, but nothing major. My main goal as I trained for the marathon was to stay injury free.

So imagine my disappointment this week when my right heel started bothering me. It's similar to what I felt back in March -- it's more of a major discomfort than a real pain. Since the marathon, I've had some discomforts here and there, but this is the first issue I've had in a while that actually made me not run for a day. This morning it was just too much. I opted to just walk my dog and by the end of the walk it wasn't too bad. It's been a day of where I can feel it, but it doesn't feel major.

I guess it's good that I have an upcoming trip to Ohio and that Christmas is right around the corner. I don't want to ruin my chances of running in the Shamrock Half Marathon, so I'll be doing a lot of not pushing it too hard for the next several days. That seems to be the story of my running life these last two months of the year. Some downtime is good, but I feel like I'm falling behind. But the way I look at it, I'm still in much better shape than a year ago when I was getting ready to start training for Shamrock. Rest did me some good with my knee issues then, so I'm counting on rest doing its thing this time.

So this will end all talk of hitting 1,000 miles this calendar year. Fellow blogger Danny suggested that I could still do 1,000 miles ... just do it in a 12-month span. No need for the calendar. It's a great idea and something I'll consider.

As for my 2008 plans, let me get through this issue first to make sure I'm OK ...

3 comments:

Nancy said...

You've had a great run of injury free days. Sorry this is cropping up now. I love the rolling calendar idea... way to stay positive. Running seems to test that in us, doesn't it? (hence the quote at the top of my blog)

Hope you recover quickly and get back at it. Take care.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Jason said...

Man, can your luck get any worse? I think I'm catching a cold...Ugh!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your idea of 1000 miles in the year... I still do the same thing with my running... and I've been doing it for 37 years... 1500 is my gold standard nowadays. I'll have 1100 this year after several months off due to achilles issues. I wish you the best in the coming year and thanks for reading my blog.
Upward and onward!
Coach Dean