The big 3-Oh my gosh I'm in a new age bracket

Just like that, I'm in a new age bracket. Unfortunately for me, it seems that runners in the 30-34 or 30-39 brackets are even faster than the 25-29 or 20-29 brackets. Maybe that's a good thing though. A fellow Lynchburg College alumnus, who is more than 20 years older than me, told me a couple of months ago that the best running years are ahead of me if I stick with it, and then it trickles off. I hope he's right.

But now that I'm 30, I have a new way of looking at various things. Whatever my times are in my next races are PRs in my 30s. Everything up until now has been a PR in my 20s. So even if I'm slower next time out, it's still a record, sort of.

Anyway, in honor of turning 30, I wanted to do a little bit of everything today, with totals reflecting my age. So, I ran 3.0 miles, biked 3.1 miles, lifted weights that I didn't do yesterday to total 30 reps per exercise, did 30 crunches on the home gym, 30 set ups on the Bosu ball and 30 seconds on the plank. I think it's more than I've ever done on my birthday.


Workouts since last post
June 23: Walk - 2; Weights; Plank - 2:20 total (1:10 max)
June 24: Details above, plus 0.4 walk

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Happy B-day!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Happy birthday. Welcome to my age group!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday -- well done for the 3 and 30 theme in your exercise routine -- some people would take the day off, have a drink, bit of birthday cake, chill out, but not you it seems -- you have just used the 30 as an incentive for more exercise! Mad !!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! What a great idea incorporating 30 in your workout today. I hope some of my best running is ahead of me. Especially since I turn 30 next week.

Danny said...

happy birthday!!

Nancy said...

Oh cool - Happy New Age Bracket!!

Anonymous said...

Ahh 30, I remember it well. It was, well, a while ago.

Happy Birthday big fella. Not that you're "big" it's a term of endearment! :)

Love reading your blog. Keep it going!