A 7.5-mile wake-up call

I know I have a decent amount of time to get into better race shape (10 weeks to be exact), but today was a good kick in the ass. A former co-worker of mine invited me to an 8-mile run with a current co-worker of his. At first I was a bit hesitant -- it's as if I wasn't ready to run with someone else. I didn't want to slow people down. And I had really only planned for between 6 and 7 miles today. I went anyway, and I'm glad a did -- it showed me I have some work to do on longer distances.

Everything was pretty much OK until I got about 6 miles in. It was at that point in which I just didn't want to keep going, but there's something about running with other people that just keeps the legs moving. Toward the end, though, we hit a pretty grueling hill that I just had to walk part of. It's these kinds of runs that make me better down the road. I know I'm better than this ... I just have to go out and find that part of me again.

All in all, this long run capped a great week even though it didn't feel like it. Coming off a week of vacation that saw very little running, I'm glad to be back on track. Now, if only I could get a job ...


Workouts since last post
June 20: Walk - 0.8; Run - 4
June 21: Rest
June 22: Run - 7.5
Week totals: Walk - 5.7; Run - 19; Bike - 7.7
Training totals (since June 1): Walk - 11; Run - 42.9; Bike - 34.3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Switching things up can prove to be very helpful. At least now you have a better sense of where you are with your training. You have plenty of time to build up the mileage and get to where you want to be for the half.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Peer pressure can be incredibly motivating eh.