Rain, rain, don't go away!

It's so easy to complain. I've done it a lot this past summer and early fall about the weather. We all complain too much. So enough with it. I'm here to praise this rain and cooler weather. How awesome would it be to get up on race day and have temperatures in the low 60s or cooler and have a very light drizzle? Perfect I say.

The past two days have been great. For the first time in two months, it has been raining the past few days -- a lot -- but in the mornings the heavy rain has been holding off and it's been very misty. And cool. And I even felt a breeze yesterday. It seems like forever since the wind picked up around here.

It's odd to think that in the three years I've been running, I've only run in the rain a handful of times. I've never had it rain during a race. In 2004, a hurricane rolled through the day before the four miler and the forecast was for heavy rain, but it turned out to be fairly nice, but windy. In 2005 I ran in some very heavy snow during a Turkey Trot in Warren, Ohio. That was actually pretty cool to do. It rained fairly hard during one of my last group training runs in 2006, and earlier this summer our group ran in some light rain one morning. I've had to dodge a few afternoon storms when I was an evening runner, but all in all, it just doesn't seem to rain when I run. Not that I'm complaining! I'd rather not, but I like the dampness that this week has offered. It finally feels like October.

0 comments: