Painting = cross training

Earlier this summer I let a couple days of painting get in the way of running ... and then at the end of the week I tripped at the top of my steps. Well, this week I got the paint brushes out again, but I didn't let it get in the way of running.

As I've mentioned before, my wife and I are expecting a boy in November. With a new job beginning next week, this week is THE week to get stuff done around the house that I've been putting off. The biggest thing is the baby's room, and I really didn't want to save it for a rainy weekend in September or October. Besides, it looks like it'll never rain in Richmond again.

So yesterday I busted out the paint, the brushes, the ladder and everything else you need to paint and got it all done ... IN ONE DAY! It started early -- probably around 10 a.m. -- and didn't end until about 6 p.m. I basically only took two or three short breaks. Thanks to some fast-drying paint (and three fans), I got two coats of two different colors on, plus the ceiling. Today my wife and I finished the job with the border.

What does all this have to do with running? Well, nothing, because I haven't missed any runs, although today was probably a bit short because I was tired. Yesterday would have been a bike ride, but I got in a good enough workout with painting, kneeling and climbing up and down the ladder. Actually, I still got in a walk and short jog with my talk before all that fun even started.

If all goes as planned, I'll actually be getting my long run in tomorrow. It's a little closer than usual to my previous long run, but it also gives me a longer distance between this week's long run and the Aug. 31 Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon. This weekend is shaping up to be busy for me, and a double-digit run doesn't fit well with my plans.


Workouts since last post
Aug. 20: Walk - 1.1; Run - 0.7; Painting
Aug. 21: Walk - 1; Run - 4.1

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This room shouts baby boy. It is perfect! Good luck with the new job. I can't believe RNR is so close.

Anonymous said...

The room is so cute, perfect for a little boy. 1 day of getting it done? Wow. Power-painting :-) Your running plan sounds good. Are you planning to taper?

Jeff said...

Looks like the planning is coming together. Are you going to paint some little running shoes on the wall too?

Anonymous said...

The room looks great! And all in one day. I have some painting you can do. Love the room.
Mom