The summer lineup

With knowing that I'll be training for a marathon from mid-summer to mid-fall, races this summer will take on a while new meaning. While I'll be looking to set some personal records, how I run and how I feel afterward are more important to me. I'm looking at this summer's races more in the sense of having a solid workout each time.

So that being said, here's a look at races around the area that I plan on doing:
* June 16, James River Scramble in Richmond. This is a 10K and my first time running this race.
* June 23, Presbyterian Homes 5K in Lynchburg. Despite running races for nearly three years, I've never done this race. The past two years I've been on a mini-Dave Matthews Band tour in Hershey, Pa., and Northern Virginia. This also is my first time doing two races two weeks in a row. I'm not too worried about it, but will listen closely to my body after the 10K.
* July 4, the second annual Downtown Academy Mile. Last year's time was 7:11 and this year I hope to break 7 minutes. Last year at that time, I had no idea how to run something all out, but I've learned a lot in the past year.
* July 21, Percival's Island 5 Miler. This is a great, relatively flat race. At the same time it's a bit intimidating because you can see too far in front of you. Last year was the first time running this and I had a time of 41:07. This year I'm shooting to break the 8-minute mile pace and finish under 40 minutes. I'll have a better goal in mind when it gets closer, but realistically I should have a time under 38 minutes.
* Aug. 18 is the Lynchburg Half Marathon. I'll probably do this as a long run only. I said that last year and ran it too hard, but I've learned my lesson.
* Sept. 29 is the Virginia 10 Miler. I'll be running this again, but like the half marathon, I'll use this as a chance to do a long run with people around. I'd like to beat my time from last year of 1:23, but it's too far away to be worried about that right now.

So if you're feeling motivated, go sign up for a race. There's a complete listing of local races at Riverside Runners Web site.

0 comments: